Wednesday 23 November 2011

John Lewis's Christmas advert…



OK – I’ve been resisting this for at least a week.  I was teased into watching the John Lewis ad when I heard the presenter on my favourite radio station talking about it.  When I got home from the school run that morning, I gave in and looked it up on YouTube.

As sweet as the advert may be, it didn’t actually make me cry.  But what has made me really mad is all the sh*t that’s been written on the BBC website about it.

Now, here’s the thing.

It’s an advert.  It is designed to attract as much publicity as possible, so that (hopefully) more people will go to John Lewis when they are doing their Christmas shopping. 

Adverts are designed to create/heighten awareness of a product/ service/whatever and leave the viewer with a positive impression of it.

They’ve been around for years.  So what’s the big deal?

Well, from what’s been written on the BBC site, the great issue everyone seems to have is whether or not it is accurate to portray a child having such a generous spirit at Christmas time.

The negative commentators suggest that the positive commentators have never actually encountered a child.  As all children (according to them) are entirely selfish.

Whoah! 

Now that’s what gets me mad!

Last night, on the way home from school, I dashed into the supermarket with my youngest son.  He had managed to smuggle his wallet into his schoolbag and had brought it with him into the supermarket.  Inside it was a £10 note.  All the little mite’s savings in the whole wide world.

“What’s your favourite wine?  Do you prefer red or white?” He asked, as I picked up a half case off the shelf.

Well, quite apart from my worrying that he sees me drinking too often, I thought it was amusing that he wanted to know what my preference would be.

When we got to the stage of paying for all our groceries, he plucked his wallet out of his pocket, took out his £10 note, and went to hand it to the cashier.

“What are you doing?” I enquired, as I insisted that he put his money back in his wallet.

“But I’m buying your wine Mummy.  You deserve a treat.” 

And so, having persuaded him that he really should save his pocket money for something else, we got into the car.

He then opened the mini box of Celebrations that I had said he could have and tipped the contents onto his lap.  He then demanded to know exactly which of the contents I liked most.  I’m not a big chocolate fan, but there are a few things I quite like.  And as the little one and I have very similar taste in food, he knew that I would go for the Bounty.  Which also happens to be his favourite.

So there’s the dilemma.  My son offers me his favourite chocolate.  If I accept, there won’t be one for him.  If I refuse, he will think that I want it really and I will be taking away his opportunity to ‘do something nice for Mummy’.

As we sat at the traffic lights, I accepted the chocolate. And the two of us sat there happily chomping away in contented silence.

My son rocks.  He is so kind, sweet and sensitive, that just thinking about him makes me want to hug and kiss him.

Anyone who says that kids are selfish and would never give away all their savings or their favourite chocolate (or do what the kid in the advert did), should consider what it is about them, that they have created a child who wouldn’t.


And just in case you missed it.....!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Like Button